Who doesn’t love a big bowl of mac and cheese?! I do. This sauce is 5-star for people who avoid dairy and for the dairy-lovers who want to try something new. I tested it on both, promise.
Cashew “Cheese” Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked *
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Juice from a lemon or lime
- 2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender (I used my Nutribullet) and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over meal or store in air-tight container.
*Soak cashews in a bowl covered with filtered water. Overnight or in warm water for 4 hours.
How to Use it
My favorite way to use this sauce is pouring it over a hot bowl of pasta with veggies! But there are many other simple, delicious ideas to enjoy this creamy “cheese” sauce.
- Over nachos: tortilla chips, black beans, sauteed red onion + mushrooms + bell peppers, black olives, shredded lettuce or cabbage, salsa with guacamole or avocado
- As a dip: use roasted veggies like broccoli, bell pepper strips, sweet potato slices, or eggplant
- Mac & cheese: using a naturally gluten-free and high-protein pasta makes it an easy way to get tons of fiber in and is a nutrient-dense alternative to regular white pasta. My typical choices include chickpea, lentil, quinoa, or a blend of these flours. Like this yummy veggie loaded mac & cheese!
This may not be the most photogenic meal, but trust me, it makes up for it in flavor!